Death knell for ‘unsafe’ school
Board vows to challenge looming closure after Govt confirms it is cancelling its registration
Gloriavale School is to be shut down after a string of failed audits and serious concerns, with the Ministry of Education declaring it not an “emotionally and physically safe” environment.
The ministry confirmed it was cancelling Gloriavale Christian School’s registration as a private school, as of January 23.
The school was warned in July if it did not take “immediate and meaningful” steps to address the issues identified in a second failed Education Review Office (ERO) audit it could face suspension or cancellation.
The Gloriavale School board said in a statement to The Press it was “deeply disappointed” by the ministry’s decision. “We believe this decision is unjust and does not reflect the significant efforts we have made to address concerns raised. The position taken by the ministry is not accepted and will be challenged.”
Hopeful Disciple, who worked under a limited authority to teach at the school until he left the community in 2021, said the ministry had made the right decision.
He said children had not been safe at the school and were not getting the same access to education as every other New Zealand child. “The system in there won’t allow changes to be made. I think there’s a hard road for parents from here on out. I really feel for the parents in that situation.
“Each and every parent needs to do what’s best for their children and the leaders need to look at what boundaries they can lift to empower parents to make their own decisions for their children,” he said.
He said options should be given to parents, but he acknowledged it would be difficult for parents to home-school in Gloriavale, where work requirements and accommodation space are barriers. It would also be hard to send their children to public schools, which had been vilified by the leadership, Disciple said.
Former Gloriavale resident Serena Pilgrim said the school lacked academic subjects. Sewing, cooking and childcare were available to girls, while boys were taught subjects such as farming, engineering and carpentry.
“It’s incredibly sexist and in no way prepares girls or women for the real world. It’s a shame that it has taken this long for the school to close but it’s great news that it finally has,” she said.
In August, Children’s Commissioner Claire Achmad called for the school’s urgent closure, saying she had zero confidence that students were safe.
Ellen Macgregor-reid, secretary for education at the ministry, said the reasons for the decision included insufficient evidence provided by the school that it was consistently meeting all the criteria of a private school.
It had provided no evidence that it would become compliant with more time, she said.
The ministry had provided considerable support to the board and staff over the last two years, as well as issuing two notices to comply, but there was still insufficient evidence of progress, she said.
“I remain concerned that these students are not being educated within an emotionally and physically safe school environment. After a period of engagement with the school and community, and consideration of the evidence, I have decided that cancellation of the school’s registration is necessary.”
Support would be provided for students and families during the transition so that education was in place for term 1 next year.
It comes after the latest ERO review found the school, which currently has 98 enrolled students, was not an emotionally or physically safe place and only met five of the eight criteria of a private school.
It followed a damning review in 2023 that found the school met only three of the criteria and the level of education provided was “inadequate and uncertain”.
The Gloriavale Leavers’ Support Trust said it supported the ministry’s decision which had taken considerable time, but acknowledged it would be unsettling for those living in the community.
“For more than six years, serious concerns have been raised about the school by leavers, former teachers, and survivor advocates. The issues were wide-ranging relating to governance, staffing numbers and suitability, and the quality and safety of education being provided,” manager Liz Gregory said.
She called for the ministry to listen to survivor advocates and use a trauma-informed approach for the transition to off-site schooling.
“Ultimately we believe that this day will bring hope and freedom and endless possibilities for a brighter future.“
The ministry confirmed the school had been providing fortnightly progress updates and meeting with officials monthly.
The school submitted a detailed plan in January 2024 written with the help of an external education consultant, which included that the school would employ staff and advisers from “outside” the community.
The ERO report found enrolled students with high and complex needs were unable to attend because of a lack of suitable staffing and insufficient equipment in the school to adequately support their physical needs.
It also said the Teaching Council was currently investigating an allegation of staff misconduct and the school told ERO the staff member was being formally monitored.
“ERO is not yet assured that all learners’ physical and emotional health and safety is closely, regularly and sufficiently considered and monitored across all schooling provision,” the report said.
It said more rigorous safety assessment plans were required for education outside the classroom and a school-based police vetting register was not yet in place.
During the 2024 review, about half of the 224 school-aged children living within the Gloriavale community were home-schooled and nearly 40% were enrolled at the private school with the rest enrolled in Te Kura correspondence.
ERO also reviewed the education provided to 96 students being home-schooled in the community and found most were being taught at least as well as at a registered school.